Certificate III in Design Fundamentals
Experience a variety of projects to begin shaping your design style and inform your progression to an area of specialisation. Building from a base of history and theory you will follow the design process and collaborate with your peers to explore colour, drawing, 2D & 3D, typography, page layout and industry software.
This course is relevant for these job roles:
- Graphic Operator
- Digital Artist
- Junior Design Assistant
This course is available for Domestic Students under the Smart and Skilled Program in NSW. *Training in priority qualifications is fee-free and fully funded by the NSW and Commonwealth governments. You may be eligible for FEE-FREE training if you enrol and start your studies before 31 December 2023. Click here to find out more about the Smart & Skilled Program NSW and apply now!
Subjects covered by this course include:
- The Design Process
- Design Periods
- Exploring 3D through Objects and Space
- The Design Workplace
Student Growth Stories
Eva – Graphic Design
Natsuki – Design Fundamentals
Matias – Marketing and Communications
- Broadband internet access
- A video capable device and/or a digital camera
- Access to a scanner/printer (minimum 1000+ DPI, A4 size)
- Sketchbook, drawing and model making materials
- Laptop (100% Online students may use Desktop computer)
– Apple/ MAC:
macOC 10.13 or newer, 16GB, 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel® Core i7™ or newer, 8 GB RAM, Minimum 40 GB free disk space; recommend 100 GB free disk space available.
64-bit Microsoft® Windows® 10 or Windows 11, 6 GB RAM, 30 GB free disk space.
- Adobe Creative Cloud subscription for Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and XD ($21.99/mth first year, $43.99/mth after that)
- Google Suite (Google Docs, Slides and Sheets included as part of your Student Email Account)
- Relevant software to upload and download video files
Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) is available for all courses, subjects and units of learning and competency being offered by APC and APC Design School.
If you have experience, skills and knowledge in your field of work – you may be eligible or even close to attaining a related qualification.
All APC vocational courses are assessed through a combination of assessment types that may include short answer questions, studio projects, essays, reports, group tasks, portfolios and/or presentations.
Successful completion of Australian Year 9 or equivalent.
English language proficiency requirements:
This Course requires you to be at an Intermediate English Level or have completed the English Proficiency Skills test with an Overall Minimum Pass Rate.
See below requirements to meet an Intermediate English Proficiency level:
|ELICOS Provider||Number of Weeks |
in this English Level
|Entry Level |
|English Unlimited||8 weeks minimum||80%||Minimum Attendance achieved|
|Other approved ELICOS colleges||10 weeks minimum||80%||Minimum Attendance achieved|
|Absence of ELICOS school proof||YES|
To participate in APC courses students need to have certain technical equipment, software and design equipment. Please check this Technology and Equipment Standard for Students.
|DAY 1||09:00 - 12:00||Subject 1: Livestream Lecture||13:00 - 16:00||Subject 2: Livestream Lecture|
|DAY 2||09:00 - 12:00||Subject 1: Studio (on-campus)||12:30 - 15:30||Subject 2: Studio (on-campus)|
|DAY 3||09:00 - 13:00||Subject 1: Interactive Livestream Studio with on-campus support||13:30 - 15:30||Subject 2: Interactive Livestream Studio with on-campus support||15:30 - 17:30||Enhance Your Employability Skills (EYES) tutorial|
- The above is a sample timetable. Actual timetables may vary between campuses. Please contact APC to find out more information on the specific timetable for this course at the campus of your choice. Student timetables are available in MyAPC.hub. Click here to access the Tutorial Topic Calendar FAQ .
- International students are expected to attend and study 20 timetabled hours per week.
Apply in 3 easy steps
Read through the admissions criteria and ensure you meet the entry requirements.
Apply online or contact us to assist with your application
We’ll contact you to confirm the details and help you through the rest of the process.
Bundle and Save on Visa Costs
Course bundling is when you apply for a series of related courses, instead of just one course, saving you money on your visa costs.
For example, if you are interested in a Certificate II or Certificate III course, you can combine it into a bundle with a related Certificate IV course. Or combine a Certificate IV course with a related Diploma and Advanced Diploma.